Jorge Armando Moreno
407 Hibben Magie Rd, Princeton NJ, 08540 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 319-512-5788
Ph.D. Molecular Biology. Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. Anticipated award date 2023
M.A. Molecular Biology. Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. December 2019.
B.S. Biological Sciences, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. May 2018
Past Research Experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant | Oct 2015 – Aug 2018
Maurine Neiman- Ph.D. Lab: University of Iowa | Biology Department
- Independent Honors research: Examination of gene expansions and genome architecture evolution in asexual vs. sexual lineages of Potamopyrgus antipodarum.
- Field collection of invasive lineages of Potamopyrgus antipodarum in the western United States
Undergraduate Research Assistant | Mar 2017 – Jan 2018
Anna Selmecki- Ph.D. Lab: Creighton Medical School | Medical Microbiology & Immunology Department
- Independent research: Development of bioinformatic pipeline for MinION nanopore sequencing for use in screening of anti-fungal resistance of Candida albicans.
Honors & Awards
- National Science Foundation REU Fellowship Dec ’15
- Evelyn Hart Watson Summer Research Fellowship May ’16
- SSE/BEACON Undergraduate Diversity at Evolution Travel Award Apr ’16
- Latham Science Engagement Initiative Fellowship Jun ’16
- Iowa Biosciences Academy Scholar Jul ’16
- SACNAS Travel Scholarship Aug ’16
- Maureen Medberry Snell CLAS Award Jan ’17
- Cornell Ph.D. Diversity Recruitment Award Feb ’17
- Avis Cone Research Fellowship Apr ’17
- Society for the Study of Evolution’s T.H. Huxley Award Jun ’17
- Princeton Molecular Biology Scholars Award Sep ’17
- U of I Dare to Discover Banner Campaign Jan ’18
- Princeton University President’s Fellowship Mar ’18
- Dewey Stuit Fund for Undergraduate Research Apr ’18
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Apr ’18
- HHMI Gilliam Fellowship for Advanced Study Jun ’20
1. Moreno, J.A., McElroy, K., Boore, J., Logsdon, J.M., and Neiman, M., Analyzing transposable element copy number variation in a freshwater snail, for: Evolution Meeting, Austin TX, June 17-21, 2016. Biocomputational Evolution in Action (BEACON) Annual Congress, Michigan State University, August 10-13, 2016. SACNAS National Conference, Long Beach CA, October 13-15, 2016
2. Moreno, J.A., Todd, R., Selmecki, A., De novo assembly of chromosomal rearrangements in Candida albicans using MinION sequencer, Princeton Molecular Biology Retreat, Princeton NJ, October 5, 2017.
3. Moreno, J.A., R. Mallarino, The genomic architecture of morphological adaptations, Princeton Molecular Biology Retreat, Avalon NJ, October 3-5, 2019.
1. Moreno, J.A., McElroy, K., Neiman, M. Genome architecture and evolution: The effect of mode of reproduction on mutational loads, for Iowa Biosciences Academy Scholar Symposium, University of Iowa, December 3, 2016.
2. Moreno, J.A., McElroy, K., Neiman, M. Influence of reproductive mode on genome architecture in a freshwater snail, for Evolution Meeting, Portland OR, June 23-27, 2017.
3. Moreno, J.A., McElroy, K., Neiman, M. Evaluating the influence of mode of inheritance on the evolution of genome architecture, for STEM Symposium, Emory University GA, October 1-3, 2017. (Invited Speaker)
4. Moreno, J.A., Navigating Graduate School: Pre- & Post Application, for Undergraduate Diversity at Evolution special symposia, Providence RI, June 21-25, 2019. (Invited Speaker)
5. Moreno, J.A., Uncovering the genomic architecture of a morphological adaptation, for Molecular Biology Colloquium, Princeton NJ, November 8, 2019.
Outreach & Teaching
1st Year Peer Mentor, Princeton Graduate Scholars Program
Local Outreach Coordinator, Graduate Molecular Biology Outreach Program (GMOP)
23andMe Education: Student Spotlight https://education.23andme.com/jorgemoreno/
Outreach fellow, Latham Science Engagement Initiative Fellowship Program
- Scientists Promoting Awareness of Research Careers (S.P.A.R.C) Initiative: coordinated lab tours and experiments for underrepresented minority high school kids.
- S.T.E.A.M Career Night: created event to introduce minority elementary students to science careers.
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), National and Princeton University chapter. (Role: National Liaison; Sep 2018 -)
- Proceedings of the Royal Society B (Proc B) (Role: Editorial team; Sep 2017 -)
- Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE)